Life would be way easier if I was blessed with fore-sight 'cos hind-sight is no consolation :)

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Found my 'GUMP'tion

WooHoo what a fabulously awesome week last week was......bush runs, daily 5kms, no arch pain and topped the week off with a Sunday visit to inspirational uncle up near Airlie Beach where we spent the day kayaking and then running local trails. Up huge hills and then down huge hills, along the beach and then return along the beach and then we had to go home as the sun was going down. Sad, sad, sad. We'd been out for 2 hours and hadn't noticed, the conversation flowed smoothly and the pace was comfortable. The thing about IU [inspirational uncle] is that he doesn't go out to win - just to finish. His main objective is to stay injury free. I found that really refreshing and reassuring that it's not about winning or going as hard as you can, beating the people in front or feeding the ego - I don't really care about any of those things. I'm naturally not competitve and definatly happy with that. IU is the most non-fuss runner I've come across and that is so inspiring. It's ironic what inspires us and why !!!! He has completed ALOT of ultras, usually at the tail end of the pack but he just keeps on going and that REALLY inspires me.

Soo....to explain finding my 'GUMP'tion - IU's pace was slow and steady and just kept going. I am now at home and up to my regular 10kms that I was doing before changing shoes and hurting my foot and at a pace just slightly faster than IU's and slightly slower than my regular pace and I'm finding I can just keep going. I haven't worn my Garmin as it's been showering and I'm not sure how water resistant it is so I'm assuming I'm going about 6min/km or 6:10min/km, I can slow down a bit if I want but I seem to be able to maintain this pace non-stop for the full 10 kms even up the hills. Like Forest Gump I think I can just keep going.

My plan is to stick with 10kms daily now for the next fortnight to give my foot time to have a hissy fit if it's gunna and then I'll start back on my longer runs.

Ohhh I've got a partner for the 2012 North Face 100 Australia :D Didn't need one but reassured to find one and guess who it is ???? Yip IU. Here's hoping we can both get tickets. Another run that's really taken my eye is 'The Great North Walk 100's' in Victoria running this weekend, here's the link www.terrigaltrotters.com.au/GNW100s_Home_Page.htm . Maybe next year....food for thought I'll have to stick with IU's pace and keep on going.

No comments:

Post a Comment